Thursday, January 29, 2009

Guilty as charged...

The other day the kids and I made a quick trip to Target. They each got to pick 1 treat. Ethan got sour patch guys (as he calls them) and Garrett got a red push pop sucker.

When we were leaving, Ethan said he wanted a sucker too and I said he could choose either a sucker or the candy. Not both, good grief this isn't the Willy Wonka factory. He chose the candy...or so I thought. We paid and left.

Fast forward to bedtime and me tucking Ethan in to find him clutching a blue push pop sucker. Hmm, what is this? Garrett got a red sucker right? Great, can't wait to hear this one.

The next morning was Sunday so during the chaos of getting ready for church, the irony kills me, I started asking Ethan about his little shoplifting excursion.

"Ya, I took it", he said-eyes cast to floor, head drooped. "I wanted it really bad and you said no so I put it in my pocket." We then had a little convo about taking things that aren't ours..which he KNOWS already, but apparently needs reminding. Roman and I were trying not to snicker noticeably at the inevitable childhood right of passage. For some kids anyway...

Fast forward to coming home from church. "Look mom, I got my CTR ring today! I told my teacher maybe it will help me not take candy from the store." Great, he told his teacher, awesome. Slap a gold star on your forehead.

So back to Target we will go-to pay our $1 and bid farewell to our first and better be LAST shoplifting experience.

10 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Ha ha! The rest of the story is probably that his teacher said, "Did your mom make you take it back to the store?" and he said, "No, I just took it home and ate it!" Just kidding, but that is probably what would have happened to me. I'm glad my kids aren't the only ones that pull stunts like that!

Jilleen said...

We've only gotten as far as the parking lot... so far anyway and that still stinks. Thanks for the laugh!

Chantri said...

LOL! Logan tried doing that at Broulims a few weeks ago. It was gum that he had and I told him we already had some at home to put it back....well I glanced back over at him as he was sliding it into his pocket! CAUGHT YA! :) He was shocked-- like wondering if I had eyes in the back of my head! kids, they are totally funny.
I'll get your picture ordered!

My Angels said...

My mom wouldn't let us have gum when I was little. So I was found underneath my bed with a whole pack of gum in my mouth at once. Imagine my moms excitement taking me back to the only grocery store in town, "where everyone knows your name!!!"

I am sooo missing Idaho Falls right now!!

allegra said...

oh, how funny! kids are so hilarious. i remember stealing from a store when i was a little girl. it must just be something all kids do at some point. i remember exactly what it was i stole too--a miniature pig figurine of all things. at least his ring will now keep him on the straight and narrow:)

the McLaughlin's said...

So funny. I swear that is a right of passage for parents and kids. I love that he told his teacher. Little kid primary classes are a good place to hear all sort of dirt about families. I have spent a lot of time in primary calling since we got married and even heard about someones mom being in jail. At least you don't have that secret to spill:).

Marissa said...

I'm glad my kid is not the only one, although mine was with little sports beads, not candy. (You'd think a little kid would do candy before a craft item. Not my son!) We got to go back and pay our $$ too. Isn't it fun to have little lessons like this! You guys rock!

Julie Ann said...

Great story! You handled it perfectly!! Love the part about you and Roman snickering. I love those moments! :)

Makenzee and Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Makenzee and Family said...

That is seriously the funniest thing i've heard all day :)

too cute. Poor little guy.

Think of a week this summer i can come stay with you guys again :)

Grigg family

Grigg family